October 24, 2007

Talking Back

Andrew has been talking back to us especially after he started kindergarten. While I want him to express his thoughts, rude talk is unacceptable. I'm trying to:

a. stay calm (lest my anger models the very negative behavior he needs to change)
b. communicate that I will not listen and walk away unless he talks in a nicer way
c. coach and model calm behavior and talk

This has been happening when he is tired after school and around bedtime and I am working on his fatigue by offering food and rest. Dr. Knapp (below) and University of Pittsburgh have some helpful articles on the subject:

"My son turned 6 yesterday and is in kindergarten this year. I have noticed he has been talking back more since starting school. I know this is a normal part of his trying to exert his independence. My question is: What do I do about it? Is it better to just ignore it and not lend any attention to it or should we give consequences?

This is a long and difficult question and answer. And there are as many approaches as there are families. It is important that kids speak their mind and voice an opinion. Learn to think for themselves instead of just swallowing whatever is fed them. But there is a difference between voicing their opinion and "talking back" ugly. When they are getting ugly, ask them to calm down and lets talk about this in a nicer tone or we will have to end this conversation."
continue reading>>